Following are 10 tips for how to be polyamorous:
1. Be open-minded about the idea of being polyamorous. Polyamory is a term that describes having many romantic relationships at once. There are different types of polyamory, including swinging, polygamy, and open relationships. Polyamory is not necessarily cheating; rather, it’s just having multiple partners who are all consenting adults.
2. Communicate openly. Communication is key to any relationship, and it’s doubly true for polyamorous relationships. Make sure you communicate clearly with your partners about everything, including your feelings, desires, and expectations.
3. Be honest with yourself and others: Honesty is key in any relationship, but it’s especially important in polyamorous relationships. You need to be honest with yourself about what you want and what you can handle, and you need to be honest with your partners about the same things.
4. Don’t assume anything: In a monogamous relationship, there are certain things that are assumed (such as exclusivity and sexual fidelity). In a polyamorous relationship, nothing should be assumed. Everything should be discussed openly and consensually.
5. Keep your jealousy in check: Jealousy is normal, but it can be destructive in a polyamorous relationship if it’s not kept in check. If you’re feeling jealous, talk to your partner about it openly and honestly.
6. Be respectful of other people’s relationships: Just because you’re not in a monogamous relationship doesn’t mean you get to disrespect other people’s relationships. If you’re going to be involved with someone who is already in a relationship, you need to respect that relationship.
7. Don’t forget about self-care: When you’re managing multiple relationships, it’s easy to forget about taking care of yourself. But it’s important to remember that your needs matter, too! Make sure you take time for yourself – whether that means getting enough sleep, taking a break from social media, or anything else that helps you recharge.
8. Seek out resources and support: Polyamory can be challenging, and it’s okay to seek out resources and support when you need it. There are lots of great books, websites, and online communities that can help you navigate the challenges of polyamory.
9. Be patient: Polyamorous relationships often require more patience than monogamous ones, as they often involve complex emotional dynamics and require ongoing communication about boundaries and expectations. If you’re feeling impatient, talk to your partner(s) about it – open communication is crucial in polyamorous relationships!
10. Last but not least, remember to have fun! Polyamory is about expanding your horizons and enjoying the ride!
Relationship guidance from an experienced couple
Conor and Brittany have been in an open relationship for over a decade and want to help others open their relationships in healthy, sustainable ways.
Tips on How to be Polyamorous
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know Polyamory is right for me?
Polyamory is not just about having sex with different people at once. It’s about being open-minded about what kind of relationship you want. If you’re looking for a long term monogamous relationship, then you should probably stick to that. But if you’re looking for something casual, then you might find yourself attracted to someone who isn’t interested in a serious relationship. Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t have both.
How can I be honest about what I want?
If you’re going to be polyamorous, you need to be honest about what you want. You don’t want to get into a situation where you end up cheating on someone else because you didn’t communicate clearly enough. If you’re not sure how to approach things, ask around. There are plenty of people out there who are willing to help you figure out what works best for you.
Is it necessary to set boundaries in a polyamorous relationship?
You can’t really have a polyamorous relationship without setting some boundaries. Make sure that everyone knows what they can do and what they can’t do. You’ll also want to make sure that you know what you can and cannot tolerate.
How important is communication in an open relationship?
Communication is key. If you’re going to be in a polyamorous relationship, you need to talk to each other. Talk about what you want and what you don’t want. If you’re not comfortable talking about these things, then you may want to consider finding a partner who is more open-minded than you are.
How do I take care of myself?
It’s important to take care of yourself. You shouldn’t put yourself in situations where you feel pressured to cheat on someone. You should also make sure that you’re getting enough sleep and eating well. If you’re feeling stressed, then you should try to relax.
Mailing List Sign-up
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
We have been helping people open up their relationships for over 10 years.
We offer a variety of courses and programs to help you get the most out of your relationship. Whether you're just starting out, or you've been in a relationship for years, we can help you grow and learn. Our courses are open to anyone, regardless of relationship status. We believe that everyone has something to learn about relationships, and we want to help you get there. With all we have to offer, we'll help you close the gap between what your mind wants and what your heart needs.